January 1, 2013

Happy New Year Stuff

I hope everyone had a safe and happy New Year's Eve! I was not in a mood to deal with driving and traffic and cops out on the road... and drunk drivers! So I lit a nice fire in the fireplace and settled in for the night with some Magners Irish Cider!

I've been thinking of holiday traditions. Growing up in the small town in Utah we never really thought about drunk drivers on New Year's Eve even though our small town of 2000 people had 3 bars! Our family tradition was to save one present under the Christmas tree, a family gift of a new board game, to open on New Year's Day.

On my mission in New Zealand I learned of some great New Year's traditions. It was considered lucky if the first person to come visit you was dark haired. It was also tradition to bring a piece of coal and a dime with you when visiting someone to wish them plenty or warmth and wealth for the new year.

When I moved to the south I learned new traditions for New Years. One is eating black eyed peas for lunch or dinner.

For most adults now New Year's Day is "hangover" day and a day to watch the Rose Parade and endless football games.

I like to give my blog a new look at the beginning of the year. What do y'all think?

What are some of the New Year's traditions you know of or celebrate?
(BTW Anne Marie... I've been to the Mummer's Parade in Philly before... very fun!)

5 comments:

SEAN said...

Interesting...I like the look and noticed right away because I just changed one of mine to look very similar!
Great minds!

anne marie in philly said...

YOU HAVE? KEWL!

thanks for the shout-out, sweetie! :)

Harper's Keeper said...

I wrote a post about black-eyed peas today. Nice to see I am not hte only one that knows of this.

Nik_TheGreek said...

Happy New Year...
I like the new look... :-)

Erik Rubright said...

Your blog looks more streamline and "clean". I approve. ;-)

I don't have any tradition. Although I remember my aunts making and eating some nasty potato pancake things. Gross.