January 2, 2013

New Year's Resolutions

I'm not a big fan of making of lists of things I want to do during the year. I often have a theme or a new motto that I want to live by in the new year. Sort of like a new focus in life.

How many of you can remember what your resolutions were last year? How did you do? I remember because of my blog! And I hang my head in shame.

list
OK, so I didn't do so well. I was more confident, but I could have been more complimentary and positive with friends and coworkers and I did very little to "pay it forward".

So what can I resolve to do in 2013? How can I improve my life? I once shared my resolutions with a friend; that I was going to be more kind and compassionate. He laughed and told me that I was already the most kind and compassionate person he knew! So I've learned that you have to put yourself out there... go beyond your comfort zone. It would be easy to have a resolution or theme to 'live more in the moment'... but I feel I am already doing that!

So... here I go. I resolve to: spend more time with friends or someone who may need a friend. I resolve to find something I can do at least once a month that embraces the theme of "pay it forward". I need to make more random acts of kindness by recognizing a moment when it is most needed and acting on it, not walking away.

Does that sound familiar? Well, maybe this year I'll do it!

What are your New Year's Resolutions?

7 comments:

SEAN said...

I don't do resolutions, I'm a constant work in progress - but maybe I should commit to some goals.

Erik Rubright said...

I don't make yearly resolutions. If I need to change something, I try to do it when I realize it. Or when I've been made aware of it, which is usually the case.

Kelly said...

Happy New Year!! I like the thought of one act of kindness a month, if not more... I will have to make my new years resolve post soon.

anne marie in philly said...

I agree with erik. so I am changing these aspects of my life:

take better care of my body (I ain't getting any younger!)

climb out of debt; better track where my money goes

knit more, both for others (RAOK) and myself

blog when the mood strikes me

Nik_TheGreek said...

I don't remember having a New Year Resolution last year.... Hmmm. Did I?

Greg said...

I stopped making resolutions because I always break them. Instead, I set goals. And this year, #1 is to lose weight and #2 is to complete all the drafts of my novel and get it published. I think losing weight might be easier.

cb said...

I always make a resolutions list and post it on my fridge. Some are personal goals, some projects, some are stretch ambitious goals, some financial.

I think it's good to make goal lists-- if nothing else than to keep you moving in a positive direction.