January 7, 2013

Out!

Well.... I did it! I'm out on Facebook as being a former-Mormon! It's FBO!
(FaceBook Official) LOL!

I'll post it again on my "anniversary" of resigning from the Mormon church on the date I dated and signed my letter to them on 1/16/09.
keep calm!

I've wanted to do this for a while now... I didn't want to create any family tension. But when one of my right-wing cousins started posting tea-party rhetoric on her page I added a comment of what I thought. So far she is the only one of my family that has commented on my 'announcement'. She said: The "term is new" to her... so I added a clarifying comment that 'resigning' is the same as asking for my name to be removed from the church records.

So why resign and not just become 100% inactive? It's about making a point.

I am no longer a christian so why would I be listed on the records of a church who's name is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints? (that's the full name of the church; LDS or Mormon are only nick-names).

So why is this a big deal to me? Well, my Mormon family believes that we are all sealed together for this life and all eternity. I am essentially breaking that bond. My family fully believes that, so this may be traumatic for them.

But it's not for me! :)

I will post this again on the 16th... just in case they missed this post today! I'll let y'all know if there is any more reaction from the fam.

5 comments:

Java said...

Congrats! Good luck with the family.

anne marie in philly said...

YAYZ! it's not you that has the problem, it's your family.

Ur-spo said...

Is there any return policy in the LDS church? Do you have to return the fruity underwear now and then they give you an official leper-outcast- unclean certificate?

Jim said...

Java: Thanks! My immediate family knows where I stand and know me as a good person.

AM: Yes, I had no problem leaving. I just don't fit into one of their easy answers that they love to give out. Like; be gay, just never act on it! Yikes... that's spells a lonely life!

Spo: I got a simple letter back from the church saying I'm no longer a member. Mormons say that used "garments" (magic underwear) should be burned! I just threw mine out...

Erik Rubright said...

Can your family have your name added back to the records without your knowledge?